Home Forums Federal Budget Over $10m turnover with an SBE pool from prior years. Still w/o pool at 30/6/21?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      John
      Participant

Hi,

Have a client who is now over $10m actual and projected, so isn’t an SBE, but has an existing SBE pool with a large balance.

My reading is that the change to the pool write off threshold in section 328-210 will apply to this client, and they will be required to write off the pool at 30 June 2021. I would greatly appreciate hearing any thoughts on this; am I on the wrong track here?

@taxpolicyteam
      @RobynTax

Thanks,
      John

Report as inappropriate
      crenshaw

Great question John! Looking forward to hearing thoughts from others in the community.

Report as inappropriate
      John
      Participant

I’m writing it off

Report as inappropriate
      John
      Participant

Still interested to hear if anyone agrees or disagrees

Report as inappropriate
      RobynTax

Hi John

You are correct. While the taxpayer has exited Subdiv 328-D of the ITAA 1997, the rules in Subdiv 328-D continue to apply to the taxpayer’s general small business pool for the income year in which they exit the simplified depreciation rules and all later years (s 328-220(1)).

The rule in s 328-210 (about low pool values) is temporarily modified by s 328-181(5) of the Income Tax (Transitional Provisions) Act 1997 which requires the taxpayer to fully deduct their general small business pool balance if the pool has a balance of “more than xero” on 30 June 2021. This rule applies even where the taxpayer has not chosen to apply Subdiv 328-D or is no longer a small business entity.

From 1 July 2022, the law reverts to the standard rule in s 328-210, which will require a small business entity to deduct their pool balance where its value is “less than $1,000 but more than zero”.

Regards
      Robyn Jacobson, CTA
      Senior Advocate
      The Tax Institute

+2
      Report as inappropriate
      John
      Participant

Wonderful, many thanks for the clarification and confirmation Robyn Thumbs Up

+2
      Report as inappropriate
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.