Home Forums My Community Overdrawn beneficiary accounts and interest

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Kelly C
      Participant

Hello all,
      Recently there has been some heated discussion in our office regarding overdrawn (debit) beneficiary accounts in a discretionary trust setting.
      We have some clients who have historically implemented a “debt swap strategy” by taking a line of credit to pay business expenses and drawing out the free cash this has created via their beneficiary drawings account. So end result – CR LOC and claiming an interest deduction and DR Beneficiary Account. Although the actual purposes for borrowing the funds does have a nexus with earning assessable income, the resulting artificial arrangement doesn’t pass the smell test for me and I am concerned interest should be charged to the beneficiary on the overdrawn account (or converted to a loan).
      Can anybody provide their thoughts or direct me to relevant cases or rulings on this arrangement?

Thank you!
      Kelly

Report as inappropriate
      John
      Participant

Hi Kelly,

I’m not fully following the sequence of events here:

Where you say “the client takes a LOC to pay deductible business expenses” is it the trust who takes a LOC, or the individual beneficiary?
      – if it’s the trust, it’s prima facie deductible interest
      – if it’s the individual, it’s not deductible

Assuming it is the trust with the LOC, the issue you may run into is proximity and matching of transactions. If there’s a clear scheme/strategy/arrangement to obtain an interest deduction for payments to beneficiaries, there is a risk being taken. Other than that though, I think it’s like any other trust with deductible debt and debit loans to beneficiaries.

*not tax advice etc 🙂

Report as inappropriate
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.